BRAILLE AUTHORITY OF NORTH AMERICA FALL MEETING

Friday, November 5, 2004: 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Saturday, November 6, 2004: 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Sunday, November 7, 2004: 9:00 AM 1:00 PM

Hosted By CLOVERNOOK CENTER FOR THE BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED CINCINNATI, OHIO

MINUTES 1 Call COP ORAST EEEE ane tesa kit E ETE anise A TAA TE Kim Charlson Kim Charlson called the meeting to order at 8:55 AM on Friday, November 5, 2004. 2 Welcome nnana a a A ONE David Grimes

David Grimes welcomed us to Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired and explained details for the arrangements of the meeting. CCBVI President Jeff Brasie welcomed BANA and showed a video about Clovernook. Chairman of the Board Doug Armstrong sent his wishes for a successful meeting and extended his regrets that he couldn't meet with BANA personally during our visit to Cincinnati.

3 Seating of BANA Members and New Representatives

Kim Charlson, ACB; Diane Wormsley, AER; Frances Mary D’ Andrea, AFB; Jennifer Dunnam, NFB; Judy Dixon, NLS; and Mary Archer, NBA.

4 Self-Introductions Representatives and Observers

Observers: Charlotte Begley, Gary Mudd, Jan Carroll, Joy Robinson, Dena Garrett, Eleanor Pester, Beth Enser, Peggy Forcade.

Representatives:

Kim Charlson, American Council of the Blind (ACB), Chair

Frances Mary (FM) D'Andrea, American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) Warren Figueiredo, American Printing House for the Blind (APH) Vice-Chair Diane Wormsley, Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER)

Mary (May) Davis, Associated Services for the Blind (ASB)

Carol Morrison, Braille Institute of America (BIA)

Darleen Bogart, Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB)

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 l

Susan (Sue) Reilly, California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually Handicapped (CTEVH), Treasurer

David Grimes, Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CCBVI)

Mary Archer, National Braille Association (NBA), Secretary

William Raeder, National Braille Press (NBP) in the excused absence of Eileen Curran

Jennifer Dunnam, National Federation of the Blind (NFB)

Judy Dixon, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)

Mary Czepyha, Administrative Assistant

5 NIGEL IO Arrangements cass sa canis wears ten a vend ats a E E bena David Grimes David Grimes concluded his explanation of the meeting arrangements.

6 Board's Liability Statement ccs su scaneeus siendersgncegsdin ieendore Gane hcecaamaalersaes es Mary Archer BANA indemnifies its Officers and Board of Directors and holds them harmless from all claims of every kind, including court expenses, attorney’s fees, and the claimed amount arising from the performance of their duties as Officers and Directors except for their own acts of dishonesty and gross negligence. (Adopted March 30, 1987)

7 PABST A Approval A ae a a a a A Aeesbiecedmenes Kim Charlson

MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the agenda be approved as printed. Passed unanimously.

8 Braille Formats Technical Committe ess iss aisha ati A aalesssiatea nnieseeakss Lynnette Taylor

8.1 Report and Board Charges Report read by David Grimes and on file.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the Formats Committee work with the Outreach Committee to prepare a survey on format issues for menus, knitting and crocheting patterns in order to publish it in news letters for comment by braille readers. Passed unanimously

8.2 Budget

$5100 was authorized for the committee's work and a face-to-face meeting at Perkins in 2005.

8.3 Appointments

MSC David Grimes moved that Debbie Gillespie and Deborah Brown be Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 2

reappointed as full committee members and that Ann Kelt be appointed committee member pro tem for the duration of the Braille Formats revision process. All terms are for two years. Passed unanimously.

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that Jean Simpson and Dena Garrett be appointed as consultants to the Braille Formats Committee for one-year terms. Passed unanimously.

Bill Raeder asked about the structure of BANA technical committees regarding observers, consultants, etc. He asked why anyone who was interested couldn't be an observer of such a committee. Darleen Bogart commented that open observers of committees worked well for the development of UEBC.

Ralph Bartley joined the meeting as an observer.

The Braille Formats Committee has had success in using Ivocalize as a communication vehicle for their work. Concern was expressed that the board is left out of discussions because the listserv is not being used. Chairs of Technical Committees will be asked to provide a written summary of telephone or online discussions/meetings. The Board will investigate the use of Ivocalize to work and communicate between meetings.

9 Computer Technical Committee sais die ass .csiueesceeeanvearieiiitin sha iearaeueabniiesanes Betty Teachman 9.1 Report and Board Charges

May Davis read the report and it is on file. The CBC Committee seems to be having some difficulty making decisions on issues that the board has charged them to address. Kim Charlson will have a conversation with Betty Teachman regarding the functionality of the committee. The idea of adding a consultant to the committee might help this situation. Kim will discuss this idea with Betty Teachman. The use of angle brackets in general literature as opposed to use in

computer programming was discussed briefly.

Diane Wormsley suggested the possibility of technical committees using the Research Committee and Outreach Committees as resources in their deliberations.

9.2 Budget No funds were requested at this time. 9.3 Appointments

MSC Carol Morrison moved that Melissa Hirshson and Sandra Ruconich be reappointed for two-year terms. Passed unanimously.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 3

9.4 The Board discussed the recommendation that a CBC special symbols page be incorporated into a standard special symbols page. We had input from Open Forum participants that will be provided to the committee. Perhaps with the addition of a consultant the committee will be able to reach a decision on this issue. The meeting adjourned for lunch at 11:40 AM The Board had the opportunity to tour the Clovernook facilities. The meeting reconvened at 1:10 PM

Jackie Conner from the NLS Multistate Center East joined the meeting as an observer.

10 Special Presentation: ABC Braille Study Ralph Bartley and Eleanor Pester, APH; Frances Mary D'Andrea, AFB

The study goals and methodology were discussed regarding the teaching of contracted or uncontracted braille for beginning readers. The study's progress thus far was reported, and plans for the future were outlined . 11 Ad Hoc Committee on Early Literacy Materials Production ................... Susan Christensen 11.1 Report and Board Charges Warren Figueiredo read the report and it is on file. Susan Christensen has resigned as committee chair. Betsy Burnham will become the chair of this committee. A work plan will be developed for the completion of the early literacy materials

production project.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved to appoint Betsy Burnham as chair of the Ad Hoc Early Literacy Materials production Committee. Passed unanimously.

11.2 Budget

No budget was requested at this point. 11.3 Appointments

None at this time.

12 Ad Hoc Foreign Language Committee a..2..0ccssscssacsases canassteceddesasscasesnstcbesventecesess Ann Kelt

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 4

12.1 Report and Board Charges Kim read the report and it is on file. Mary Archer reported that Joanne Baldwin, who has been working on finishing the Foreign Language Manual, is currently serving as a volunteer for NLS reading Nemeth lessons and grading certification tests and has therefore been interrupted on the foreign language project.

12.2 Budget $1000 was requested by the committee.

12.3 Appointments None at this time.

13 Refreshable Braille Technical Committee... ee eeeeeeseeeneeesneeeseeeens Jennifer Dunnam

13.1 Report and Board Charges Since Jennifer Dunnam is now the representative for NFB she can no longer serve as chair of the committee per BANA Policies. Jennifer made a recommendation that the board consider asking Caryn Navy to serve as chair of the Refreshable Braille Committee. Kim will contact Caryn and ask her to serve and a final vote on appointing a chair for the committee will take place via e-mail.

Judy Dixon was appointed as liaison to this committee.

Judy Dixon discussed the problems surrounding not having a consistent ASCII character set for braille displays. Considerable discussion of this topic took place.

MSC Judy Dixon moved that the Refreshable Braille Committee be charged with, by fall of 2005, to review and compare the existing 256-character ASCII braille tables used by refreshable braille displays and braille embossers in North America; to recommend a 256-character ASCII braille table suitable for use by relevant hardware and software producers. Passed unanimously

13.2 Budget No funds were requested at this time.

13.3 Appointments

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that Sharon Monthei be appointed to the committee for a two year term. Passed unanimously.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 5

Other committee vacancies will be filled via an e-mail vote. 14 Literary Technical Committee sis. ions eccv tesserae dans niecievnevdews devciov antes Martha Pamperin

MSC Darleen Bogart moved to appoint Nancy Barker from Toronto to the BANA Literary Technical Committee to fill the unexpired term of Phyllis Landon who has resigned. E-mail vote to end 06-25-2004. Passed unanimously.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Tom Keith from Toronto be appointed as a consultant to the BANA Literary Technical Committee. E-mail vote to end 06-26-2004. Passed unanimously.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the BANA Board accept the resignation of Margaret Robinson from the Literary Technical Committee and that Anna Lee Braunstein be appointed to fill the unexpired term of Margaret Robinson. E-mail vote to end 08-16-2004. Passed unanimously.

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the BANA Board consider the recommendation of the Literary Committee and that BANA make a formal request that the International Council on English Braille’s UEB (Unified English Braille) committee consider changing symbols for copyright, trademark, and registered trademark to those used by the Braille Authority of the United Kingdom (BAUK) i.e. dots 4-5C, 4-5R and 4-5T for copyright, registered trademark, and trademark respectively. E-mail vote to end 10-15-2004. Voting yes: FM, WF, DW, MS, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, MLS, DG. Not voting: SR

14.1 Report and Board Charges

Darleen Bogart read the report and the report is on file. In addition to the thanks that Martha Pamperin mentioned in her report, the Board thanks Martha for her leadership of this committee. Perhaps this committee could investigate using Ivocalize also. We will wait until we hear back from UEB regarding copyright, registered trademark, and trademark to respond to the committee regarding this issue.

The Board will request clarification from the committee regarding the rationale for choosing the dots they did for opening and closing angle brackets.

The Board requests clarification regarding why the change is being proposed in the

letter sign rule. The Board also recommends revision of the language so that the rule is stated in a simpler form.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 6

14.2 Budget $3,700 is being requested for committee work and a face-to-face meeting in 2005. 14.3 Appointments MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Nancy Barker, Anna Lee Braunstein, and Joseph Sullivan be reappointed for two-year terms. Passed

unanimously

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Norma Schecter and Tom Keith be reappointed as consultants for a one-year term. Passed unanimously.

16 Music Technical Committee x..3..6 Aapcsaee oscatdons sia esanr sare senetaesgaeceeaannau gnats Lawrence Smith 16.1 Report and Board Charges Report read by Judy Dixon and on file. 16.2 Budget The committee requested $300 for its work. 16.3 Appointments

MSC Carol Morrison moved that Karen Gearreald be appointed as a consultant to the committee for a one-year term. Passed unanimously.

MSC Carol Morrison moved that Karin Aukenthaler, Beverly McKenney and Harvey Miller be reappointed for two year terms. Passed unanimously.

Jennifer Dunnam was appointed as liaison to the Music Technical Committee.

The meeting adjourned at 4:50 PM.

The Saturday, November 6th meeting was called to order at 9:08 AM at the hotel.

15 Mathematics Technical Committee ...........ccecccccccsesceceeeeeneeeeeeeeeeeeenetaeeeeeees Betsy McBride

15.1 Report and Board Charges

Report read by Mary Archer and on file.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 g

The completion of the graphing calculator guidelines, the stem and leaf, and box and whisker plot guidelines are especially needed since these directly impact tactile graphics and several other projects. Mary Archer will clarify with the Mathematics Technical Committee as to where they are in the process. Also the committee will be reminded to use the listserv to conduct their work so that the Board can continue to monitor the discussion.

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved to charge the committee to develop guidelines for producing the Periodic Table of Elements by reviewing the current methods of transcribing such material and recommending a standardized format by Fall of 2005. Passed unanimously.

Discussion around this motion was focused not only about the Periodic Table of Elements that appears in textbooks but also portions of the table that appear in standardized

tests. Concern was expressed about how this material was being transcribed since

there are no guidelines for doing so at the present time.

15.2 Budget $300 was requested for the committee's work. 15.3 Appointments

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that Anthony Evancic and Susan Osterhaus be reappointed to two-year terms and that Allison O’ Day be reappointed as consultant for a one-year term. Passed unanimously.

15.4 Nemeth Code Errata Clarification

MSH Mary Archer moved that BANA approve the submitted Nemeth errata and the hand written division problem as part of the Nemeth Code and distribute it accordingly.

This motion was put on hold until it can be determined that Canada and the US are sending the same errata material to Nemeth transcribers and the ruling that the

Mathematics Technical Committee made regarding the handwritten division

problem can be clarified. The motion will be dealt with by an e-mail vote.

15.5 Consideration of Nemeth Code Reference Sheet published by National Braille Press as an approved BANA publication

The Mathematics Technical Committee recommends that this publication be approved by BANA.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 8

17

18

19

20

GC The Publications Committee will develop language that can be used to show BANA approval of documents produced in collaboration with other organizations.

Tactile Graphics Technical Committee sa..assssscctousceconoltancetecsrecenwusnesis taenana vans Lucia Hasty

17.1 Report and Board Charges

Carol Morrison read the report and the report is on file.

National Braille Association will make the Guidelines for Mathematics Diagrams available to be included in this document.

This will be an expensive publication. The Board discussed the possibility of raising funds for this project.

17.2 Budget $1600 17.3 Appointments MSC Carol Morrison moved that Constance Craig and Diane Spence be reappointed for two-year terms and that Susan Osterhaus be reappointed as consultant for one year. Passed unanimously. Nominating Committee Report ¥.<..c02.......ccdcsessescadedsendecessevcedecsevsndeccsoses oe Darleen Bogart Darleen presented the Nominating Committee report. Fleciom OL OMG CTS: 5 fete oles e es cere ada Mian tae URN gaat a aoe Reet Darleen Bogart MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the slate of officers be approved unanimously: Kim Charlson, chair; Warren Figueiredo, vice-chair; Carol Morrison, secretary; and Sue Reilly, Treasurer. Passed unanimously. Mary Archer was appointed to the Nominating Committee. Research Committee Report. sicscicccsccsscesscdevidisdessanardsesedsedsstencsdensdss Frances Mary D’ Andrea MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the BANA Ad Hoc Committee on

UEBC Research be renamed the BANA Ad Hoc Committee on Braille Research. E-mail vote to end 06-30 2004. Passed unanimously.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 9

20.1 Report and Board Charges

MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved to charge the committee to promote and conduct research and provide opportunities for partnerships to answer questions related to braille reading and writing which have an impact on braille codes. Passed unanimously.

MSC Diane Wormsley moved to charge this committee to serve as a resource to the technical committees to assist them in determining appropriate ways to collect information to answer specific questions with which they have been charged. Passed unanimously.

Frances Mary D’ Andrea read the report and the report is on file.

The list of remaining research questions will be clarified, the website will be used to inform interested parties regarding what still needs to be researched.

Frances Mary explained the process that was used with Drs. Knowlton and Wetzel to complete their report. They responded to a list of questions that the research committee asked regarding clarification and further questions. The committee will be asking them to prepare an abstract for the BANA website. Frances Mary

D’ Andrea will write a thank-you note to Knowlton and Wetzel.

Do NBA or others planning on conducting research need a research protocol? The National Center for Leadership in Visual Impairment is developing a protocol for research. Diane Wormsley will share this information when it becomes available.

20.2 Budget $800 plus about $1200 to be returned from Knowlton and Wetzel to total $2000 20.3 Appointments None at this time 21 Education & Outreach Committee Report... cceccccesseceesenteeeeeseteeeeeeeaes Eileen Curran MSC Eileen Curran moved that BANA disband the Ad Hoc Committee on UEBC Education and the Public Outreach Committee. E-mail vote to end 06-04- 2004. Passed unanimously. MSC Eileen Curran moved that BANA form an Outreach and Education

Committee and that this committee be charged with informing and soliciting input from stakeholders on BANA activities and projects through

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 10

publications and presentations. E-mail vote to end 06-08-2004. Voting yes: FM, WF, Sandy R. MD, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, MLS. Not voting: SR Supporting after the deadline: DG

21.1 Report and Board Charges

Warren Figueiredo read the report and the report is on file.

NBA and BANA will work together on the Braille Readers Speak Out/ Open Forum at the next meeting which is being hosted by NBA in Dallas.

Discussion about reissuing Sampler 1. It will need updating if we do reissue it. Darleen Bogart will check Sampler 1 to see what changes need to be made and correct the files. The Outreach Committee will be asked to write an introduction for the updated Sampler.

21.2 Budget $800

21.3 Appointments

Jennifer Dunnam, Judy Dixon, and Diane Wormsley were appointed to this committee.

22 Publications (CO MILLS: choca scat wah saosin ctiesaa techy edbeaktu can tue sauonchugaanatacera Warren Figueiredo

Budget $6000 for 50 copies of Tactile Graphics

Warren Figueiredo read the report and the report is on file. GH Braille has a grant to

produce the electronic version of the Nemeth Code. Warren will talk to David

Schleppenbach regarding content and accuracy of the version.

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that this committee be charged with working cooperatively with appropriate organizations to assure that any electronic version of the Nemeth Code be accurate and accessible. Passed unanimously.

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that BANA purchase copies of British Braille and RNIB Braillist Manual for the Chair of Braille Formats and Literary Braille Technical Committees. Passed unanimously

Press Release: New members, Open Forum, elected officers.

22.1 Publications Guidelines

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 11

24

25

26

2222

22.3

The Publication Guidelines will be issued in the format used by the BAUK document British Braille.

GC The Publications Committee will develop language that can be used to show BANA approval of documents produced in collaboration with other agencies/organizations.

BANA Brochures

When the brochures are updated they will be made available on the website.

BANA Website

Warren Figueiredo continues to update the website.

BY Laws neoin eee ie ni ee eae R Mary Lou Stark

There are no changes incorporated since the last version of the by-laws. Judy Dixon was appointed the chair of the By-laws Committee

Topics to be addressed in BANA Bylaws and Policies include incorporating the Research and Outreach and Education Committees and their functions into the appropriate document. A process should be developed for distributing additions to codes in a more timely manner.

State cic: Planning sisareen E AE E At ince E NEA Kim Charlson

Kim reported on the session held on Thursday which focused on communication. She reported that most CEOs were okay with the increase in dues. Kim was complemented on her letter. Fund raising was discussed. Board members were asked to be alert for potential sources of funds. Perhaps some local chapters of NFB or ACB could be approached for funds. Maybe BANA needs a Fund Development Committee.

ICEB/UEBC Update Project Repoti rsaneron eet EE AA E ER E ERR NS Darleen Bogart Report attached

Secretary's Report

26.1

Minutes: Spring 2004n eii i i E uae aeade ewan Mary Archer

MSC Mary Archer moved that the minutes of the BANA Board meeting for Spring 2004 be adopted with corrections. E-mail vote to end 06-01- 2004, Voting yes: WF, MD, CM, SR, DB, MA, EC, RR, DG. Not voting: FM, Sandy R, MLS.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 12

26.2 Certificates of AprecialiOn:, <.:.csducnacon tx ctdciinsatnnhtaataine tinacaeather Kim Charlson Certificates will be sent to Bettye Krolick, Ruby Ryles, and Mary Lou Stark thanking them for their service, and a special certificate will be sent to Bernard Krebs for his contributions to Braille in early 2005. Certificates have been sent to Phyllis Landon and Margaret Robinson.

26.3- ~ Directory, Update cxccc dune ancsccuewmeeti aunt au eae encase Mary Archer Updates will be incorporated into the directory.

20:42 “BANA Exþibit csecs.cson GecncteSicah ale une a eae Warren Figueiredo The content of the trunk needs updating. BANA will exhibit at CTEVH and NBA.

26.5" SSUAMONERY <ticn cece dds BN E E ee eases Slee eae e ae Warren Figueiredo No news on this front

26:07 BANAS TASESCL VS caso a wa a eaa epee tones oats Kim Charlson The listserv addresses were checked.

27 Standard of Braille -ExpectanOtiea: «csansstannianachan ian wianianineas Kim Charlson Mary Archer will send Kim a copy of NBA’s code of ethics. 28 Press Release a teats aan E O A aa Warren Figueiredo

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that BANA adopt (with input for changes from

the group) the press release dealing with BANA’s participation in the Fourth General Assembly of the ICEB. Voting to end 04-08-2004. Passed unanimously with DB, EC, MLS voting after the deadline.

Warren Figueiredo and Kim Charlson will draft the press release following this meeting.

29 Treasurer S RO OTE e a e ated aoe a a ea a e e cade Sue Reilly 29.1 2003 year-end financial Statements (corrected) On file 29.2 2004 Financial statement Report on file and read by Sue Reilly 29.3 2005 Budget

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 13

30

31

32

33

33

Sue went over the budget for 2005. She will send us a file with the budget. Bill Raeder suggested requesting a grant so that the Tactile Graphics book could be sold at a reduced price.

MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that we accept the treasure’s report as amended. Passed unanimously.

MSC David Grimes moved that the 2005 Budget in the amount of $26,000 be adopted as discussed. Passed unanimously.

1EYAINPA S a DIOT g Ee 1 a ME A A E des Eileen Curran No report.

International Braille Organizations

31.1 World Braille G OUmell iets cae. ete ae vecsrhaesens tc ote ovens oavedastanieaness Darleen Bogart See appended report.

31.2 WBU North America/Caribbean Region ............cccccceceeeceeeeeeteeeeeeeeees Kim Charlson The WBU Braille Music survey is being tabulated.

31.3 French Braille unification update s.ccctentienoiincuousawntuan Darleen Bogart See appended report.

31.4 Other Country Initiatives Updates were read from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Darleen Bogart reported on the developments in Canada. (See appended report on Canada.)

Unfinished Business

32.1 AFB Solutions FOrum..............:cccccsescccsssssrcessesssrtsesssesseees Frances Mary D’ Andrea FM reported on the Solutions Forum. They last met at the APH Annual meeting.

New Busines Sorone eegne an i ocucnens sa aa ae a aar Kim Charlson No new business.

Around the 4 NAIC: ccde uss wetddast dics bsuecoate babes wueatdak wengedcan All BANA representatives

The representatives reported on the news from their respective organizations.

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 14

35

36

Fútüte BANA meeting Seetee an a a a Geeta toni a Kim Charlson

Spring 2005 NBA Dallas April 17, 2005. Addison Marriott Quorum. Committee meetings Sunday morning. Board meeting Sunday | PM through 5 PM Tuesday April 19, 2005.

Fall 2005 NFB Spring 2006 BIA Fall 2006 AER Spring 2007 APH Fall 2007 ASB Spring 2008 NLS Fall 2008 NBP Spring 2009 —- CTEVH Fall 2009 AFB Spring 2010 ACB Fall 2010 CNIB Spring 2011 CCBVI

David Grimes was thanked for the hospitality of Clovernook and for the efforts he and his wife Rhonda made in making this meeting a success.

Ador AMen ae eR RR Ae URE RR ety OR RO TO EISNER e fie ROT At Ree n Kim Charlson Meeting adjourned at 12:55 PM.

Submitted by Mary Archer, Secretary

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 15

Appended reports

International Council on English Braille November, 2004

General Assembly, March 28 - April, 2004

The five-day General Assembly was a huge success in every aspect. Wonderful support was provided by CNIB and CBA in funds, staff and volunteer support, and materials.

There were five papers presented to the GA: interim reports on two research papers on UEB - the one commissioned by BANA by Knowlton and Wetzel and the one by Elaine Gerber for CBA; one on the count done by CNIB re number/letter number/punctuation combinations in a variety of texts, both literary and technical material; Dr. Nemeth's critique of UEBC; and a paper by some Japanese braille researchers on their revision of the Japanese code with UEBC technical symbols.

The UEBC reports took up most of the Assembly's time with very good discussion. The main resolution is the UEB was approved as an international standard for English braille; UEB was deemed sufficiently complete for braille authorities to consider its adoption, and consultation with stakeholders should be a part of the process.

All seven members of ICEB had delegations - Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The next GA will be in Australia, probably in March 2009. The Executive will meet in approximately two years in South Africa.

ICEB Initiatives

The Executive created the UEB Committee (overarching) to complete the work on UEB and resolve any conflicts. | agreed to continue with the project as chair once again.

We have appointed working groups for: Rules, Format Best Practices, Linguistics and probably Contractions. Rules has an excellent committee,

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 16

chaired by Antonnette Botha from South Africa. There is a Math Sub- committee chaired by Janet Reynolds from New Zealand. Format Best Practices is ably chaired by Reinette Popplestone from South Africa. Linguistics does not yet have a chair. | have just asked that a Contractions group be established to deal with contractions bridging syllables.

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada have all passed resolutions to proceed with UEB consultation and implementation planning. UK and USA will not be following the lead of these four countries at the present time. But both are involved with the continuation of the UEB project and have named members to most working groups. | had hoped to have an update from Nigeria but it has not come.

ICEB is actively seeking a chair for the Research Committee so that research initiatives can be undertaken.

BANA's request to have symbols for copyright, trademark and registered trademark changed to those used in British Braille has gone to the UEB Committee.

Also being considered is having the listservs of all working groups available to observers.

Darleen Bogart

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 17

WORLD BRAILLE COUNCIL November, 2004

The World Braille Council Ad Hoc Working Group of the World Blind Union is being chaired by Sir John Wall of England.

The WBU is meeting this December in Cape Town for its General Assembly. The WBC has been asked to become responsible for all aspects of braille for WBU: the Braille Literacy Committee, Louis Braille Clubs, Louis Braille Home and Museum, and the encouragement of braille standardization within linguistic groups.

There will be a "fringe" meeting in Cape Town of the WBC to consider the proposal of Mr. Bjorn Lovsted, Managing Director of Index, a Swedish company which manufactures braille embossers and WinBraille, braille translation software. Mr. Lovsted's paper was endorsed by the WBU Officers at their meeting in Norway October 2-3. The proposal is to make braille translation software for all languages available free of charge on the WinBraille editor. WBU is expected to endorse this politically, organize a web-based database where these Braille Translation Files would be available, make new Braille Translation Files for new languages, include BTF on WBU agendas, and work to establish BTF as a global "de facto" standard and not support any other companies braille translation software.

3rd IDP Forum in Johannesburg, May 27, 2004

Reinette Popplestone presented an overview of UEB for the African countries represented. Discussion brought out many points about the need for standardization within Africa and universally for braille and also tactile graphics, and for page and line size. Uganda spoke about their difficulties working in both the US and UK systems. It was suggested that XML should be accepted as the basic standard for all countries. India made a plea for a single math code. Ghana had thought that "braille was braille" but they now teach a standard form to their young children. ICEVI is willing to co-ordinate efforts but thought that they should liaise with WBU on the matter. They cited the need for a list of braille producers, standard catalogue entries, and a database of holdings. The need to develop software to support local languages was also mentioned.

French Braille Unification Update Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 18

November, 2004

The international committee met in Paris a year ago. A compromise has been reached in that both upper numbers and antoin numbers (upper numbers with a dot 6 added) may be used. Testing between the two types of numbering is being carried out in Canada with 100 high school examples being used. Canada does not use the antoin numbers but some European countries have used them in some technical codes.

There has been much intense discussion around typeform indicators. There is a proposal that there be a general indicator dots 456, with 456 456 opening a passage and 456 closing it after the last word in the passage. It would be used for any type of emphasis and is non-specific. The number of words in a passage is currently two, but is under discussion to bring it to three words.

There are also specific indicators when the specific typeform is required: italics would be 456 35, bold 456 2356 and underlining 456 25.

Work is being done by Pierre Ferland from Canada and a French representative on format guidelines.

The committee meets in June 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Darleen Bogart

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 19

French Braille Unification Update November, 2004

The international committee met in Paris a year ago. A compromise has been reached in that both upper numbers and antoin numbers (upper numbers with a dot 6 added) may be used. Testing between the two types of numbering is being carried out in Canada with 100 high school examples being used. Canada does not use the antoin numbers but some European countries have used them in some technical codes.

There has been much intense discussion around typeform indicators. There is a proposal that there be a general indicator dots 456, with 456 456 opening a passage and 456 closing it after the last word in the passage. It would be used for any type of emphasis and is non-specific. The number of words in a passage is currently two, but is under discussion to bring it to three words.

There are also specific indicators when the specific typeform is required: italics would be 456 35, bold 456 2356 and underlining 456 25.

Work is being done by Pierre Ferland from Canada and a French representative on format guidelines.

The committee meets in June 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Darleen Bogart

Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 20